Useless To Useful Feeling

Life was setting into a routine. I was getting stronger every day, but being a person who was used to being on the go working, taking care of our home, and traveling. I was feeling pretty useless. Everyone was trying to get me interested in hobbies, knitting, crocheting etc. I was never good at any of those things and just couldn’t concentrate on any one project for long.

Reading books (which I used to love to do) I found I couldn’t remember what I was reading. Yes, depression was working on me and doctors told me I had, had so many medications, especially antibiotics, that it would take awhile to get them out of my system.

My choice of entertainment was games on the computer and watching movies. I was also
repeating the “serenity prayer” many, many times a day. Slowly, things began to get better. Bonnie J. would take me grocery shopping. I would get in one of the mobile carts to get around the stores. This worked pretty well (first trip was hilarious ran into a few things) but it felt so good to get out and do something constructive.

I had lots of visitors which was always wonderful, but I needed to get my mind busy. In the fall a friend of my son, Chad, was starting a carpet cleaning business. He was telling me he did not have time to set up appointments cause he was busy cleaning carpet. Next thing I knew I was answering his calls and setting up appointments for him. My prayers were being answered now. I felt I had a purpose to full fill and that I could help someone.

My stump was healed and the prosthesis was working well. The new boot on my right foot to protect it from breaking was getting easier to walk with, I always had to use a walker and still do as I am very unsteady.

During the winters first snow, I found out real quick that manual wheel chairs do not work well in any amount of snow. This did not stop me from going to church, shopping or going out to dinner with friends. We just cleared a path first.

I kept asking Tony if we could get a little puppy to keep me company. He would always say “No – a condo is no place for a dog of any size. They need to run and play.” Well, my sister Donna knew I liked pugs, and she sent me a card that had a picture of a pug on it. I kept it on my computer desk and I talked to everybody about “my pug”. In late February, my son Shannon, called and said he found me a pug puppy 8 weeks old. I was ecstatic, Tony said, “Boni this is not possible. You can’t take care of him.” I said, “I could.” So “entered Tuk” into my life. He was so tiny. He slept on my chest all the time. Training presented a few challenges, but we mastered them. And that little dog is my best buddy to this day.

This post was written by Bonnie Ribitzki a Charcot amputee and friend from Gering Nebraska

Brought toby Charcot Awareness Education Foundation